International Studies in Sociology of Education is a high quality and forward-thinking international peer-reviewed journal. Founded in 1990, the journal has become a leading journal of the discipline internationally.
The Journal aims to:
- Publish original papers of international significance which present creative, rigorous research and critical perspectives in the sociology of education.
- Lead critical, innovative and reflexive thinking, acting as a catalyst for future research, policy and practice in the field.
- Highlight new and emerging debates on educational issues of sociological interest, as well as moving longstanding debates forward.
- Make connections across local, regional and international contexts in the study of sociology of education.
- Foreground marginalised social and political issues, non-dominant theoretical resources, and cross-cultural debate in the international field of sociology of education.
- Encourage participation and critical engagement from scholars from around the world and at all stages of career development.
The Scope of the Journal
International Studies in Sociology of Education is published in English four times annually and has a global reach. The journal addresses historical as well as contemporary sociological debates in education significant to an international audience.
The journal welcomes inter-disciplinary work where sociological theory and perspectives have a substantial role. Empirical and non-empirical manuscripts are both welcome. The scope of the journal extends to formal and informal education and the role of education in the life course. Authors are encouraged to locate their work in relation to previous issues of ISSE as well as the wider field of sociology of education.
The editors invite submissions of reviews of literature on various topics in the field of Sociology of Education. The reviews will be reviewed in the similar matter as other submissions. Before the submission, the authors are invited to contact the editors to discuss their prospective topic of review and the methodology.
The Editors welcome enquiries about prospective special issues as well as commissioning special issues on an occasional basis. Please consult the journal's Special Issues page for further details.
Peer Review Policy
All research articles in this journal undergo rigorous peer review based on initial editor screening and refereeing by at least two anonymous referees.
Read the Instructions for Authors for information on how to submit your article.
Explore the most recently published articles