The Journal of Engineering Design is a leading international publication for dissemination of research across all areas of engineering design, focusing on design of engineered products and systems, as well as product realisation processes and fulfillment systems related to engineering disciplines such as industrial engineering, manufacturing engineering, production engineering, operations engineering, service engineering, systems engineering, and engineering management.
The Journal publishes pioneering research and best practices on the principles of design, as well as design management, techniques and methodologies, rather than specific domain applications. Papers can be focused on fundamental research leading to new methods or adaptation and synthesis of existing methods for new problem formulations.
Submissions can take the form of original research contributions, technical notes or perspectives/editorials from all areas of engineering design. The journal also publishes state-of-the-art review and positioning papers. All articles are reviewed by independent expert referees.
We welcome papers that examine diverse topics within the scope of the journal, including, but not limited to:
- Design theory and methodology, including foundations of design theory; design rationale; creativity and innovation in engineering; marketing-engineering interface; design synthesis; design cognition; models of design processes; design ideation; product cost and design economics; product families, platforms and reuse in engineering; configuration design; as well as resilience, reliability and robustness in engineering design.
- Design automation and computational support, including knowledge and information management in engineering; computer-supported cooperative work and social computing; design representation and languages; semantics in design of products, services and processes; generative design; feature-based design; shape grammars; product data management; virtual prototyping; cyber physical system prototyping; digital thread and digital twins; extended reality (XR); geometric design; engineering informatics; data-driven and data-informed design; machine learning and artificial intelligence in design; symbolic computing for design; simulation-based design; design decision support systems; augmented intelligence and design; integrated intelligent design environments; and big data analytics for design.
- Design optimisation and decision science, including design evaluation; engineering optimisation; multi-disciplinary optimisation; multi-attribute decision making; design decisions under uncertainty; reliability-based design; shape and topology optimisation; decision-based design; preference modeling; design for market systems; and behavioral economics in design.
- Design of product realisation systems with focus on planning, optimisation, control and management of processes, fulfillment and systems, including systems design and design complexity; integrated engineering design development; manufacturing systems design; design for changeable and reconfigurable production systems; supply chain design; design for logistics; operations engineering design; service delivery system design; integrated product and process development; global and distributed engineering design; and multi/inter/trans-disciplinary engineering design.
- Human frontiers in design, including engineering design aesthetics, style and form; emotive design and Kansei engineering; inclusive design and universal design; industrial design engineering and total design; user experience design; integration of customers in product/process design; user-centered design; behavioral design and smart nudging; multi-modal perception and psychology in design; ambience intelligence for human factors design; future of work at the human-technology frontier; workplace design; design collaboration and teamwork; creative behavior; design culture; and the design process of ergonomics.
- Design for product lifecycle and sustainability, including DFX (manufacturability, assembly, production, quality, maintenance, remanufacture, recycling, reuse, end-of-life); design for additive manufacturing; design for prognostic health management; sustainable/green/ecofriendly design; design considering carbon emissions and energy consumption; and design for circular economy.
- Design management and systems engineering, including collaborative design in engineering; design project planning and workflow management; requirement engineering; new product development and introduction process; product quality management and improvement; product lifecycle management; evolutionary design activities in engineering; model-based systems engineering; risk management; system of systems; as well as best practice and empirical studies.
- New and emerging engineering design trends, including smart and connected products; product-service systems; innovation design, product ecosystem design; inverse problem solving in design; design for digital transformation; design as strategic engineering; design and operation of human-cyber-physical systems (e.g., smart mobility or smart factories); design with smart sensing and AI technologies; design in Industry 4.0 and 5.0; product servitisation and XaaS (anything-as-a-service); design in the metaverse and Web3; platformisation for the sharing economy; open innovation and co-creation; crowdsourcing design; as well as digitalization and product development cycle.
- Design education, including design education and pedagogy in engineering; design thinking and design doing; complex sociotechnical systems; public policy design; design engineering epistemologies; design learning mechanisms and learning systems; design ethics; design diversity, equity and inclusivity; as well as design education assessment methods, instruments, and metrics.
- Design research methodology, including qualitative, quantitative, observational, participative and retrospective methods for investigating; verification and validation; and evaluating design processes, methods and tools, at the strategic as well as tactical levels.
All published research articles in this journal have undergone rigorous double anonymized peer review, based on initial editor screening and anonymous refereeing by independent expert referees. Submissions can take the form of quality original research contributions as well as book reviews from all the major disciplines of engineering design.
Visit our Instructions for Authors page for information on preparing your manuscript.
We are abstracted and indexed in Science Citation Index, Scopus and more.
The Journal of Engineering Design is endorsed by the Design Society meaning your research will be available to all their members.
The prestigious and experienced members of our international Editorial Board will guide you from submission to publication.
Our Author Services page provides you with tips and tricks to promote your research on social media and through your network. This includes 50 free e-prints to share with anyone you wish.
Quickly and easily track the impact your paper makes with the help of Authored Works.
Read the Instructions for Authors for information on how to submit your article.
Explore the most recently published articles